Friday, April 24, 2015

renovations, renovations.

This whole blogging/renovating juggling act isn't going as I planned.

To be honest, this whole renovating things isn't going as we planned either. It's what people always say, right? It will take longer than you think, cost more money than you anticipate, and you will find surprises along the way.

our original view of the living room

There have been some surprises:

♥ We ran out of hardwood, and it will take another few weeks to complete the flooring

♥ The door leading to the small balcony off the master bedroom showed us her leaky personality in the face of heavy rainfall this week

♥ The front door needs changing, even though the previous owner changed it, because the quality is so poor

♥ We found evidence that the basement had flooded in the past, despite reassurances from said previous homeowner that there had never been water damage down there. We are talking to neighbors who say that it was a few owners before that lived through the flood.

We're not too worried about these surprises, but we've found these out in the space of a month and are worried that there's more lurking around.

In any case, there are fun things happening:

♥ We've replaced the parquet flooring on the top 2 floors (minus the missing parts.) We decided on a grey-ish maple. It looks better than it sounds. ha.


the maple is on the left, and the floating floor for the basement is on the right.

♥ Removed wallpaper, wallpaper everywhere. Some walls were salvageable, but others had to be cut out and replaced. She glued that stuff down to last. But as soon as it all came down and the walls got a good coat of primer, it was like a breath of fresh air.

wallpaper, wallpaper

♥ We ripped out the staircase spindles and rails. New posts are going up and it will change the look of the whole main floor.

Here's a look at the living room in progress. With the wallpaper gone, and the wall separating the staircase gone, it's already like a whole new room.

living room in progress

I am not crafting these days, but would you like to see more of what's going on at the house? And would you be interested to see things like paint colors? Lighting choices? Rugs? 

♥.

12 comments:

  1. Love seeing these pictures together. I would especially love to see the paint choices since I plan on some major repainting for my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renovations are time consuming but in the end priceless. I would love to see progress pictures. It looks great already. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done a whole house renovation but DH and I were the general contractor (and plumber and insulator and electrician and landscaper...) for the two houses we've built. I know exactly how much blood, sweat, and tears you're putting into that house. You're doing great! I love seeing renovations in progress and I'd love to see more of what you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home is coming together! Although I'm sorry to hear about the setbacks... I can only imagine how time consuming and stressful renovating a house can be! I always enjoy seeing progress pics on your Instagram. I would love to see blog posts with more detail and tips as well. I plan on moving very soon (out of state actually) and will be furnishing my new place from scratch. So any interior decor tips would be awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes, yes & yes. Love watching the process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, yes & yes. Love watching the process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy your blog and beautiful creations but I rarely comment (I'm sorry). I LOVE this renovation post and look forward to more! I also look forward to your cards when you have time, but this is SO interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too, Yes...Yes...Yes! LOL We can't all craft 100% of the time, Elena. It's just not possible and don't you dare feel bad about it. Your family and new home are more important. If people get to needing your craftiness, there is plenty to review on your blog. ;) I love seeing your thoughts and decisions for your home, as a crafter and DIYer these things interest and inspire me too. We've had our home for, sheesh about 20 years, and it was small. DH picked it out himself when we decided to move to the Springfield, MO area. I had no say. In the last 8 years he's made huge improvements, by adding a big living room w/loft and bath addition and renovating attics, new wood flooring, took out the galley kitchen and installed a huge kitchen, built a nice covered back porch that just got an extension, etc. And there is more to come. Keep on plugging away and I will be here to see your updates, because they are all "crafty". (((hugs))) Paulette S.
    craftqueen417 at yahoo dot com
    http://paulettesprettypapercrafts dot wordpress dot com
    since Blogger/Google won't edit my expired Profile for a blog that no longer exists since it was imported to WP, and they will not remove it or let me do so, not let me edit it. Brilliant Google!

    ReplyDelete
  9. By all means it is very interesting to see how you are transforming your home. We bought last January and it has been disaster after disaster so I feel for you, funny that people don't tell the truth about things isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm DYING to see it all put together! What a transformation! Hang in there... it will feel like forever while you're in it, but you have forever to enjoy it, right? And look how beautiful it's becoming! You can nap when you move in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, yes, yes pretty please! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME!! =) Missing your Cards, but LOVING the Pictures and the Pieces of your New Home!! Would LOVE to see more!! =) THANKS for sharing and have a Fabulous Week!!

    ReplyDelete