Wednesday, September 19, 2012

taking a pie break.

Remember when I mentioned that Thomas' kindergarten class was going apple picking?  He brought home his bag of apples and demanded pie.... what can I say?  my kind of kid!

We made them mini-sized, and baked them in muffin tins.

If you are looking for a fantastically yummy apple pie filling recipe, then look no further.  I love this one (and I have no idea who to credit, because it's printed on a sheet of paper, and very stained, hee hee.)

Apple Pie Filling

2/3 to 3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp lemon juice (I usually sneak a bit more in - I love the brightness it gives the pie)
6-7 thinly sliced, peeled and cored cooking apples (granny smith is preferred in our home!)
1 tbsp cold butter
milk

Pre-heat the oven to 425 F.  Combine all ingredients, except butter and milk.  Pour into pie crust, and dot the top with butter cubes.  Cover with pie-crust-top and brush milk on top.  Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the crust is golden (you may want to cover the edges with foil if you find they are browning too fast.)

 Can you guess what I had for breakfast?

mmmmmm.....

5 comments:

  1. Yummm... looks delicious. I think this weekend I'll be putting up some applesauce and apple pie filling and just might make some of these. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm...those look delicious! Thanks for sharing the filling recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look incredible! I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little apple pie muffins look so delicious!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete