Thursday, August 13, 2015

Donut party!

I know the donut theme has been around for awhile, but I hope you're not sick of it yet!

donut party!


If you're a regular here, you know that my 3 kids have their birthdays super close together. All 3 of them within 10 days of each other, in late April/early May. I usually do a party for each of them, spanning 3 weekends. This year, we were in the middle of house-packing/house-renovating stress and I nixed a party where the kids would have to maneuver around boxes, and asked if they could please pick a theme that would work for all three of them.

Lemme tell you something: asking 3 kids, ages 10, 8 and 5, to agree on a party theme is no easy task. As soon as the word "donuts" was uttered, I RAN to Michaels, bought a donut pan and told them the negotiations were over. Because, look! I bought a pan.

donut party!

After the pan, I decided that I wouldn't use stamps for this party. I designed all of the artwork, which I'll highlight even more in a separate post, and had everything printed. As much as I adore working with stamped images, this was even more fun! Add in all of the amazing treats by Marlyn (of Montreal Confections) and I think this turned out to be a great party.

donut party!

Donut worry, be happy! I grabbed that frame (from Michaels) from our basement, and had my artwork printed up BIG (24x36 inches).  Did you know that to print that in color would have costed more than 30$, but if you print it in black and white on engineering paper, it costed under 5$? I added the color with acrylic paints that I had lying around.

donut party!

Marlyn made 3 cakes, for my 3 birthday babies. Every year, I keep thinking she will never live up to the previous year's cake, and every year I clap my hands and do a giddy jig when I see what she's created. It's always a surprise, and I'm always thrilled with how well she matches my vision for the parties. (She has a how-to video on youtube that you can access *here*)

donut party!


A cake covered in sprinkles delighted Maia to no end. She was all about it. What 5 year old wouldn't be over-the-moon about all those sprinkles?

donut party!

This square cake, with the donut cookies on it, was such a show-stopper.

donut party!

All the parents were bent over the cakes, to get closer looks at the tiny donuts!

donut party!

This one was my favorite. Tiny donuts all around, with minty green frosting. So cute I can't stand it.

donut party!

And, with my 3 kids-in-a-donut on top, even cuter.

donut party!

I had so much fun with the paperie for this party. "Donut mind if you..." on every food/drink marker made the kids giggle.

donut party!


Don't laugh, but this was our first Krispy Kreme donut experience. We thought it would be fun for the kids to try them, since we usually stick to Tim Hortons. They are so yummy, but so heavy! I felt sick after 1 donut! But look, so pretty:

donut party!

donut party!


I felt obliged to put something on the table so that the parents wouldn't freak out over all the sugar I was feeding their kids!  Do you think any of them reached for fruit? Ha, nope.

donut party!

Marlyn also made the cutest donut cookies. I asked her to make them as big as the donuts!

donut party!

This one featured chocolate-covered-pop-rocks as sprinkles. I heard they were delicious. Ha.

donut party!

I had this one instead. Something happened when I grew up, and I hate all the candy I loved as a child. I mean, bubble-gum ice cream? No thanks. I'll have the salted caramel with pecans, please.

donut party!


My favorite party decoration?

donut party!

hee hee.

I hung it from the dining room fixture, over the water-bottles.

donut party!

We played a few donut-themed party games in our backyard (what a change from our usual April parties where the temperature can still hover around freezing!), one of which involved a sheet of gyprock that we had leftover from our renovations:

donut party!


I sketched him out, and the hubs cut out the mouth. I used acrylic paints to color him in, and a sharpie to add the black outline.

donut party!

I managed to grab an action shot of Maia's turn (I think Amar is grabbing her arm to move her back to where she was supposed to stand. ha.)

We had such a great time, and the kids would like to do a summer party with all of their friends again next year! I hope you enjoyed this look at our donut party!

donut party!

17 comments:

  1. I love it! That game looks like so much fun for the kids! Your creativity never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This is so adorable! You should start your own stamp company. I'd love to have a stamp set with those images. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is sooo fun and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How FUN!! I want you to come over and do a party for me!! FABULOUS DESIGN on everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love all those donuts and love the game! (Carina cheats too.....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cutest party, ever!! Love all of your adorable printed designs! Love the Do Nut theme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love everything about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, officially I don't know you but, is this your idea of a party when you don't have time to do much? On a good year we hang streamers, balloons, make a chic box cake with can icing and if we're really prepared we remember the ice cream! You are disgustingly amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun! What wonderful memories you create for your kids Elena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! I am totally in awe here! Your designs that you created for the party are beyond adorable!! ( stamp set YES!) And all of the donuts and cookies are gorgeous! Just amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome dessert table and I love all the donut desserts! Marlyn did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My oh my, this is spectacular!! I'm a big donut fan and would have loved to have been plonked down amongst all that donutness!! I bet the kids loved everything and you put so much effort and time into the decorations etc. So fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SQUEAL!! SO CUTE I Can Hardly Stand it DONUT You KNOW!!?? =) THANKS SO MUCH for sharing and I'm SURE the PARTY was a HUGE HUGE HUGE HIT!! Have a FABULOUS WEEKEND!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wowzers you have created an amazing spread. My fave is the "you are here" sign too - so sweet!

    ReplyDelete