Friday, February 8, 2013

heart doily die... 2 ways

Love is in the air.

love is in the air.

And I have a love affair with doilies.  Happily, Clear and Simple is releasing a set of doily dies today.  I'm showing off the heart die.

love is in the air.

I tried my hand at die-cutting and also embossing with the heart doily die.  Are you swooning?  Look at all the pretty detail!

On the card, I used a technique that I found by way of Jess Witty to emboss the heart onto my card-front.  (sidebar: I love how big this die is!  it really fills up the whole card!)

If you have a Big Shot, here's how to emboss with any steel die:  from the bottom, layer your multipurpose platform (open to tab 1), then a cutting plate, then your die (face up!), your paper, embossing mats, and the second cutting plate.

After I rolled it out of the Big Shot, I rubbed distress ink over the impression to make it stand out more.  Keeping it simple, I propped up my sentiment, and tied a little twine around it.

I had so much fun that I made a few treat pouches, using the same embossing technique:

love is in the air.

For each treat pouch, I embossed 2 hearts, cut them out very roughly (that is, left a large border around the impression), sewed and stuffed them... full of cinnamon hearts (aren't they such a Valentine staple?)  Once the hearts were fully sewn shut, I trimmed away the excess for a cleaner edge.

love is in the air.

One of the pouches had to be sacrificed for the good of this post.  Early eat-while-crafting treats for me.

If embossing isn't your thing, here's another look at the gorgeous banner I made using this die:

love is in the air.

sigh.  and another swoon.  String a bunch of die-cut hearts together and call it a banner.  It is hanging in my kitchen, and I will probably leave it up past Valentine's day.

Keeping it real: with every pass through the machine, you will be left to poke out a lot of little pieces.  But oh my.  is it ever worth it.

These designers also have doily goodness to show off:  


15 comments:

  1. Oh my WORD. How beautiful is all of this?! And those treat pouches are just ADORABLE. And I LOVE the banner. It's all so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are absolutely beautiful! Love that banner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that die is *stunning*!! I love the projects you made with it Elena - really showed off its beauty to the full!! Love your treat pouches and your card!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one talented woman ~ Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! And treat pouches? Great idea (as usual)! ***

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok seriously A-mazing! What a fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FUN packets! LOVE that heart doily! Thanks for the sandwich/layer recipe..I always have touble with that part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one cool envie! Love the sewed heart with treat!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the treat pouches! That doily is just so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love these tear open heart pouches!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these! They're like Hot Pockets Valentines! So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Love the different ways you used the doily die.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This heart filled with candys is very nice. Using your model, I've made one for my Valentine (sorry for my English, I'm not fluent !)(you can see my version on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Came here from Taheerah's blog ... someday I will get my act together, follow a reader, and won't miss great posts like this! So in love with your heart pockets, and completely impressed that one was sacrificed. So worth it. You even tore into is in an artful way : )

    ReplyDelete