Tuesday, November 12, 2013

diy elf on the shelf

I am so excited to share this post with you! Actually, I was so excited to share the idea with Nicki (from Clear and Simple Stamps) and it just so happens that they've released a rag doll elf stamp set, so I'm thrilled to be able to partner with CSS one more time.

diy elf on the shelf

When I first received the rag doll dies, I immediately thought beyond plush dolls, all the way to Christmas crafting.  I wanted to make my very own elf-on-the-shelf.  Because let's face it, the *official* one is a bit creepy.  My version is cuddly and soft and oh-so-cute.

diy elf on the shelf


My friend Deb and I (of Sprouting Jube Jube fame) crafted our matching dolls together.  I highly recommend crafting with friends.  The giggling and squealing over every bit of the dolls made it so worth the night out.

Using the dies, I made some alterations to the shape of the rag doll.  Firstly, the doll's arms and legs are extra long.  To do this, I ran the dies through the machine up to a point and then continued cutting them by hand to the desired length.

diy elf on the shelf


The doll's pointy ears were free-handed - aren't they so cute? And the hat and scarf were re-purposed from a pair of men's socks.  You could see a bit of the heel of the sock, where I gathered it to attach my handmade pom-pom.

diy elf on the shelf


Deb did an amazing job of whipping up a pair of overalls for each of our dolls:

diy elf on the shelf


When the kids get their elf for the first time, at the beginning of December, they will receive a note, complete with Santa's seal of approval...

diy elf on the shelf

...and an introduction from the big man himself:

diy elf on the shelf


I hope you liked my handmade elf!  I can't wait to see what mischief he gets into in December!

♥.

39 comments:

  1. Oh he sure is super cute. What a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely adorable. LOVE it! The note from Santa is really cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your elf is so cute. Any chance that you would share the altered pattern pieces? I already have the dies and would love to make a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could just use the dies as pattern pieces - cut the arms and legs out of computer paper and then just make them as long as you want them. My friend Deb didn't make her legs as long as I did :) And for the ears, I just cut a little elfy-ear without a pattern... just be warned: there's a thin line between elf-ear and spock-like-ear :) I hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. I am going to give it a try, wish me luck!

      Delete
  4. There he is!! Love the little guy so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gumdrop goodness!!! Your elf on the shelf is the most adorable thing I've ever seen!!!!!!!! Squeal!!! Loooove the colors and textures and patterns of the fabrics! And of course the adorable note that goes with it it so sweet and cute!! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness, gracious!!!! I want him! LOL! He is just awesome, Elena!!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if I have ever left a comment here...but I love visiting here. I LOVE this idea. My kids are older so I have pushed away the idea of doing the Elf on Shelf thing for the Holidays but it seems like so much fun...you know, all the mischief that the Elf can get into and now I see your DYI Elf on the Shelf and that is just so awesome! I feel I just simply must do this. Your elf is supper cute! Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm Elena this is simply amazing and oh so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is totally adorable! I LOVE him and his outfit, especially his hat and scarf too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, he is so cute! I really like his little outfit, too. You are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just too much fun and oh my goodness SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGoodness, Elena, your elf is so stinkin' cute!!!! What a fabulous creation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Elena, your styling is superb and Deb... damn cute overalls! I gotta make one now. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so right! This elf is way cuter than the "official" one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uhm, would you please make me one to buy? He's darling! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. He is so Adorable Elena!!! The overall details are perfect with his blushing cheeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. just about the most adorable thing i've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this is just so fabulous! Your kids are going to love him!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, cet elf est vraiment super mignon et que dire de la carte assortie... Parfait ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is the besets post EVER!! I love this so much :)))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the elf on the shelf tradition. It's fun and sweet but I totally agree with you, he looks creepy. I'd never buy him, I don't like creepy dolls at all (brrrrr!).
    And now you come with this super CUTE elf on the shelf! It's adorable! I don't want one, I want 10! Hahaha
    You're amazing girl! I love everything that you create!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never jumped on the elf bandwagon, but now that my kids are older, the mischievous things he can do will make them laugh. Are you selling your little elves? He is soooo much cuter than the original Elf on the Shelf! If so, please e-mail me at snodgrass91atmsndotcom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i emailed you! my friend Deb is indeed selling the dolls!

      Delete
    2. Can you please email me her info too, I'm looking to purchase one also samanthabrunette@hotmail.com

      Delete
  23. Can you please email me as well? I love this and would love to purchase one! Megan.Gillia@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would I be able to get info for the elf as well? I would love to get one if these. Email is helenhnguyen07@gmail.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to order as well please. My email is benechamer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed everyone who has expressed interest in ordering a doll!

      Delete
    2. I am interested in one as well! These are better than anything I've seen and just absolutely wonderful! Please let me know at travellove@gmail.com and thank YOU!

      Delete
  26. I'm interested in this as well.. these are sooo much cuter than the original one. My e-mail is llchika73@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Could you also include me on the email for doll purchase?
    danielle040575@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I want to jump on the elf wagon too... wyldemajik@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was inspired by this post and made my own! You can see him at http://redscreendoor.blogspot.com/2013/12/diy-elf-and-yoga-with-swans.html.
    Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow… I LOVE this 1000 times more than the "Elf's" that at Being sold at Stores!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So I'm finding you years after your original post! Are you or your friend stil making or willing to make?! In actually looking for a doll not an elf, so if willing to do a custom order, please contact me: jlatscha11@gmail.com
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete