Monday, November 25, 2013

To flash or not to flash? and a house-shaped tag.

Hi friends!

I had bigger plans for the PTI blog hop, I really did, but things (read: basement renovations and a packed weekend) interfered.  Nonetheless, I managed to print out the template and use part of it to create a Christmas tag.

Now, here's the question.  Do you like the photo better without flash:

to flash or not to flash?

or with:

to flash or not to flash?

they are both taken within about 5 minutes of each other, in daylight and without any different lighting, save for the bounced flash.  I'm trying to decide which version I like better.

Without flash, the photo is softer and more moody - which is almost always my preference, but the with-flash photo is so bold and bright.  As the days become darker in the winter months, I may have to resort more and more to using my flash.  It happens every year.

If you are curious about my gear, here is a link to my (rolls eyes) huge splurge - the lightscoop.  A real bounce flash was not in my budget, but I have used and loved my 25$ lightscoop for years now.  If you have very large rooms, or extremely high ceilings, this is not the product for you, but it works perfectly fine for me.

The tag came together very simply: I printed Nichole's template and chopped off everything but this one shape.  You are supposed to fold in the corners to make a pointy roof, but I kept it even less fussy by refusing to add extra steps.  A few scallops for a roof, a rectangle of red cardstock for a door, a stamped sentiment (from Bells & Boughs) and a Christmas wreath (from Clear and Simple's Rag Doll House.)

I hope you like it!

♥.



32 comments:

  1. Awesome tag! But really I must say thanks for the tip on the Lightscoop. I'd never heard of it and I really need something like it! Do you have the original or the deluxe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the original - and I just noticed that it's on sale for 20$ right now! Just make sure that it will fit the type of camera you have.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful house! Love your sweet tag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute house tag! And I like the second photo with the flash, the colors really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling tag, with the scallop roof! Thanks for the light scoop tip. Need it badly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you used the scallops to give texture to the roof on your lovely tag Thanks for the info on the lightscoop - looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm usually not a fan of the flash- but in this case- I think it looks fabulous with the flash :) adorable project too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, I normally don't like the flash, but in this case I like that one better....I think it's a case by case decision on flashing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tag, Elena! I'm thankful that I got my lightscoop (as per your recommendation), and will have to start using it soon, as there are so few good day light hours now....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet tag! I think the photo with the flash looks much nicer.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. With flash. I see the moody-ness but I think it actually looks more like vignetting. The flash shows more detail and truer colours, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. reading all of the comments is so interesting! without flash is definitely more of a vignette, which I love, but it's fun to see what everyone thinks!

      Delete
  11. Love the one with the flash! Your tag is fabulous Elena, I love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous idea to use the template for a tag. I love the brightness of the flash photo and how it blurred the background out a bit more, but I love the warmth of the colors without the flash. The inking details you did around edges also get lost with the flash, so truthfully I'm glad you shared both pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous tag! I think I like more the one without the flash :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful tag :) I'm not sure to be honest - I have gone back and forth. I think I would say "without" although there is more shadow, the picture has more depth :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!! This is so FUN and BEAUTIFUL!! LOVE the idea!! THANKS for sharing and have a Fabulous Week!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. CUTE Tag.. what a GREAT idea to cut the template to make it!!
    Funny I was doing the same thinking with my photos! :) I do like BOTH your versions! :)
    Have a GREAT day!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous tag Elena!!
    Even though the non-flash colours are warmer - I prefer the flash version - although that being said, I would probably veer towards the top one if the folder handles were not in the photo ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - those folder handles. you're right about them being a distraction :)

      Delete
  18. I love this adorable tag! I think you flash version is very nice. I've never used this but I do have a diffuser. (http://www.garyfongestore.com/featured-products/puffer-plus-pop-up-flash-diffuser-653.html) For those with high ceilings or want to use it outside! Its not as diffuse as bouncing would be, especially in this case, but its better than full on flash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing your gear with me - I'll be checking it out with coffee this morning!

      Delete
  19. Oh how cute your tag came out, Elena. I like both of your photos ~ each one is different.
    Thanks for sharing the info about lightscoop (need all the help I can get)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome tag!! So perfect for the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you are the hit of the hop, Elena! Your little house tag is perfection! And I do like it better with the flash because I think it puts the focus squarely on the tag and softens and blurs the ribbon in the background. Without it, the whole scene is vibrant, with no central focus ... to my eye anyway, if that makes any sense. Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful tag! Normally I'd say no flash, but I actually like your with flash photo better. The flash is casting a pretty halo effect around the tag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful little house tag! I kinda like the non flash photo best ...could you brighten it when you edit it ...maybe you did already. I so hear you about the light in The room. Still beautiful pictures and project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already did lighten it a bit, but I think you're right - it could be lightened more still... thanks, Marybeth!

      Delete