Thursday, August 30, 2012

crafty break: 1st day of school.

The first day of school. 


This little missy is treating it like she's been around the block a year or two...  she packed her backpack, helped to put her lunch together, and chose her outfit the night before.  There was a test run in the clothes, and some preening in front of the bathroom mirror.  She was edible.


Sofia has also been full of advice for Thomas, who will be (for the first time) spending all of his weekdays out of the house: where to sit on the bus, how to ask for a bathroom break in french,  and what to do to make new friends.  I've so loved listening to their little conversations in the last few weeks.  Her confidence has translated into reassurance and encouragement for Thomas, and for me too.


Even Maia will be starting preschool a few mornings a week.  All I can think to say is to offer a fat "good luck" to her teacher. ha ha.  She is such a funny kid, and full of affection when you get to know her, but she doesn't make it easy.  As soon as there is mention of "school," she starts yelling "I don't want to go school!"

I think she's yelling it in this picture, actually.  You can see the "sch" syllable coming out of that little mouth!


Oh, Jesus, watch over my tiny loves this year...

My mommy heart is excited and in knots all at once.  

15 comments:

  1. I can feel you little mommy heart spinning around gleefully and aching all at once. (Oh, and that Maia character? Best.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your kids all have a great first day of school! My Kennedy was like Maia at that age...we called her feisty! Her temperament has evened out so much now that she's five. I have a second-grader and kindergartener too. So does SueAnn and Amy Dann--we were thinking of having a playdate, care to join? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! your kids are so adorable! your little preschooler stole the show! how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE! These pictures are priceless! Your kiddos are beyond adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious children! Bon chance (is that right? or is it bonne chance?) to you and the kiddos as you embark on this new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maia kills me... like kills me... I think I want to smooch her again just so she can yell at me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! The apple looks so huge on the little one's head, the photo cracks me up. So so cute! We have our kindergarten orientation today. Gulp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs! Motherhood is such a mix of joy and heartache, isn't it?

    Love the pics of the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy are these photos ever so sweet! :> It's so hard to send them back and I have my youngest starting preschool too! :<

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all so adorable. Enjoy your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your children are SOOOOO ADORABLE...Great pictures too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sofia is *beautiful*, Thomas is just perfect - he looks like such a little man - and Maia is just SWEET!

    Emma goes to Pre School on the 17th... I am excited for her, because she is excited, but I am just NOT ready for this step!! Get this, though; we were talking in the car the other day about how our days will be when Emma goes to preschool: Get up, get dressed, have breakfast quickly, then Josie and I will drop her off and leave her there. Josie FREAKED out. "NO! ME GO! ME GO SCHOOL! ME TOO!" Trust my children! The one who *should* freak out about going to preschool is excited and can't wait to desert her mother, and the one who shouldn't notice, and should be excited about more time alone with her mother is mad and having a fit because she isn't being left behind! Weird children...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your children are ADORABLE!!! And your pictures so wonderful - I'll have a smile on my face now that I go to bed (- it's late here) thanks to your Maia. So understand your mixed feelings - I'm going through it with Ted who just started dagis(daycare)-It's tough even if you know that they enjoy it!
    Have a lovely week-end, hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! sus hijos son hermosos y la pequeñita es una ternurita, Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete