Thursday, October 11, 2012

CSS release day 2 {halloween mis-fortunes}

I am so excited to be showing off the little critters dress-up set, and matching dies.  The critters are getting gussied up for trick or treating - and the cuteness is on overload!


I used both the little critters and the smaller tagline critters to create this banner and set of halloween "mis-fortunes" - get it?  hee hee.  I'm in love with the hilarious black fortune cookies, the labels on the front of the take-out boxes, and especially the mummy-wrapped critters.

 I started out with plain white take-out boxes (bought from my local crafting store) and decorated their fronts with images from the little critter dress-up set.  The mummies required a bit of masking (stamp it: gauze-first-critter-second), but the ghost was as easy as stamping the sheet and then the big eyes.  No fuss, no muss.  I punched a 1 3/4 inch circle behind each critter and stamped the sentiment "spooky good times" repeatedly.  A bit of black distress ink set the spooky tone (or, as spooky as these critters can get).


The fortune cookies were dead easy to create.  I punched 3.5 inch circles out of black designer paper, and each circle got folded in half (but not completely, I just sort of held it shut like a taco so that no part of the circle got creased.)  Then, I bent it back the other way and stuck a glue dot in the middle to keep them looking like proper fortune cookies.

This is probably my favorite one - "bite me!" with the tagline vampire right next to it.  hee hee.

Other fortunes include: "you're doomed!", "whoooooo said boo?", "look behind you!", and "you will meet a ghostly end."

For halloween, I plan to fill these boxes with a few "mis-fortunes" each, and some black  and orange jellybeans.  I think the kids will get a kick out of them!



 I also created a fun banner to match.  I hand-cut the banner panels (I used half a sheet of black cardstock per panel and then just created a template for the fish-tailed-ends.)  Then, I made orange medallions and gave each 3.5 inch circle the same texty treatment as the take-out boxes... only this time they all scream "BOO!"

The bat and black cat were colored with black distress ink, and just a tiny shot of orange was all the coloring I needed for the other critters.  Do you love the cat's mustache and pirate patch as much as I do?  I think it's hilarious!

For the perfect halloween touch, I strung the panels up on a length of CSS orange/black/white twine.

Thanks for checking out my projects - I'll be updating with new CSS goodies for the next 6 days!  I hope you'll come back!



The rest of the design team has amazing projects to show off as well:


12 comments:

  1. What a great project Elena!!! The banner is so adorable and I love how you dressed up the take out boxes. The fortune cookies are fabulous, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. So adorable! Even more reasons to love those critters! :) I finally ordered the owl dies! Super cute goodies you made here... love the paper fortune cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE those fortune cookies. Such a cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS!!! just when i thought those little critters couldn't get any cuter!!!! lol!! you are magic!! i just DIE everytime i see your creations!! <3 SO SO SO inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these are so adorable, Elena! I love what you made, but the little fortune cookies are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this project! So cute!!
    And I love your blog, you're such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness!! You always create the best things Elena :) I just love both the banner and the adorable take out boxes! And your own handmade fortune cookies, too?! You are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elena, these are spooktacular! Ha, I make myself laugh. No seriously, you are the queen of masking and these little critters are just plain cute. And those misfortune cookies...what a fabulous idea. I may have to make some for Leah. Can we please come trick or treating at your house? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, E, this is off the charts amazing! Stunning photos too! Love the simple black, white and orange theme. So clean, so modern, so FLIPPIN' fabulous! And the BOO background... too die for! LOVE, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your projects are always so amazing and over the top! This one is no exception! Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elena, this is truly amazing!!! I loved the critters last year and now I MUST get them this year!!!!

    ReplyDelete