Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Star Wars party

When my son said: "for my next birthday, I'd like it to be either a star wars or a batman party.  I like batman, but I also like Yoga," I totally overlooked the fact that he mispronounced Yoda and gently nudged him in the direction I preferred.  By that I mean, I started playing "Return of the Jedi" almost immediately.  By the movie's end, he was clear on his choice.... ha.

star wars birthday party

I used printables from Hello My Sweet to decorate the party, and the sweets (all but that big chocolate cake and the cinnamon rolls) were delivered by Montreal Confections. They made the party!  When the boys saw all of the desserts, their eyes went wide (and that includes the dads who snapped iphone pictures...)

star wars birthday party

The detail on the cookies and cupcake toppers is unreal.  The little Chewie in the fighter ship is edible - I was told that they were completely handmade and hand-painted.  Incredible.

star wars birthday party

The signage was so fun and helped to create a fully cohesive party.  I'm showing off my very favorites, but we also served "han-burgers," "palpatine's pizza," "hutt dogs," and "thermal detonators."  Great fun.  For most of the boys (including mine) it was the first time they were trying any kind of soda.  We mixed limeade with a touch of 7up and called it "Yoda Soda."

star wars birthday party

My favorite is still "Leia's buns." Thanks to my sister, Melissa, for making them for our party!

star wars birthday party

I didn't use all of the printables that came with the pack.  But, since I paid for them, I found another use for all of the cupcake toppers and other character signs that I didn't need for the dessert table: a mobile.  I strung  up double-sided pictures from our dining room's light fixture.  It was a fun touch that made a big statement.  Instead of tablecloth, I opted for a length of wrapping paper, and die-cut black stars to scatter over the length of the table.

star wars birthday party

The party can't be all nice-to-look-at and no activities, right?  

1. my happy 6 year old!
2. pool noodles, cut in half and wrapped at the base with masking tape, make for awesome light sabers.
3. Darth Vader meets planet-of-the-apes masks - they were a weird hit.
4. We froze Hans Solos in, er, jello and then made teams race to dig him out.  It took them about a minute.  
5. initiation into jedi training involved tattoos.
6. the best thing about throwing a themed party?  The parents know what will make your son happy.

star wars birthday party

After all of the party excitement, we sent the boys home with their mask, light saber, one of these Star Wars cups filled with goodies, and the most amazing Vader cookies I've ever seen: 

star wars birthday party

These were my fave.  When Marlyn dropped them off, my eyes bugged out.  I even took an extra and popped him onto my cake.  To give them as favors, I wrapped them individually in cello bags, and for extra fun, cut a little paper cape - he was much more menacing that way.

I hope you liked our Star Wars party!  The kid in me loved every minute of it, and my son has been grinning and talking about it ever since.  

24 comments:

  1. I live with a 46 year old who would love this as much as your kid! I'm soooo not showing him this post or I'm doomed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, I bet my son of 13 would love a party like that, but that would have to be a private party, so he get to play and eat all the stuff by himself!
    It all looks sooo stunning, thanks for sharing.
    And the smile of your son is worth all the effort that most have cost you!!
    Bye from the Netherlands,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING - but I shouldn't come here... I feel so bad for not even trying to make something cool like this for Ted's parties (-:
    It's very inspiring though, so when I decide to try and have the time I know where to come.
    Thanks so much for sharing Elena, hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely AWESOME!!!! I love seeing it all together, your photos are beautiful! I can't wait for the next and the next and the next...lol only 4 to go

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! You always put on a great party! I love those cookies! I can just imagine the sugar high the kids were on with all those goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, this is just about the best party I have ever seen. Ever!!! Amazing amazing everything Elena - God I wish I had been there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You win the best mom of the year award! Seriously, how do you think of all the details?? Amazing party, Elena!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the cinnamon rolls as Leia's hair - so funny! This is so impressive Elena - the work you have put into this is mind blowing - what a lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW!!! What an amazing party!! Could you come here and make a party for me? LOL
    Love every detail!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my god. Insane. You need to do this as a full-time business.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girlfriend, you are amazing! I love all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love love love love love this so much. blown away. wish i was on this guest list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elena, this is absolutely amazing. I totally sent the link to my husband. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so wicked talented Elena!!! This party absolutely was a hit.....you thought of everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elena, I have been waiting on pins an needles to see this party!!! Simply amazing!!!! The paper capes on the cookies...so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing Elena! Seriously you are Wonder Woman! I only wished that you lived closer so I could crash your parties!

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome party!! your kids are going to have so many fun birthday memeories!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are one amazing mom--this looks like it was such fun! Esp impressed with the DIY light-sabers. LOVED themed parties when my guys were smaller. One of them was born on Halloween so we had some spooky times...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my goodness, Elena! This is amazing!! I'm in awe. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow that was some party! It looked awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG! I was only gone for a few weeks and come to find this!!! Amazing!! Love this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Little late in seeing this, but wow! I am in serious envy of your guests. I really adore seeing your posts about your parties and I wish I could frequent Montreal Confections!

    ReplyDelete