Tuesday, September 3, 2013

trying something new.

be happy.

I decided to try a little something new: drawing something original, from scratch, and coloring it in with copic markers.  I'm no artist, though, and can't just draw off the top of my head. yet.  I'm assuming that if I practise, I could develop what little talent I have here. grin.

I found this picture on my desktop when I was cleaning up files (you know, because I couldn't see the desktop anymore, there were so many folders everywhere.)  It was in a folder marked "inspiration" - obviously pre-Pinterest, so I don't even have a source to credit.

From this computer file, I came up with my own version:

be happy.

It looks very hand-drawn and imperfect, but I kind of like that.  Whimsical, right? I kept the basic design, but changed hair, added a bear, and added socks.  I love little girls with knee-high socks.

be happy.

To be able to color her in with copics, I did the following: sketched her out with a pencil, and then traced over the pencil lines with a 0.5 copic multiliner.  The multiliner is made for coloring with copics, and they didn't bleed at all.  I colored the whole thing on watercolor paper, because I wanted that nice texture, and without too much shading.  I wanted to keep it simple and sweet.

be happy.

After having colored everything, I traced the elements and created masks for them so that I could stamp a text background over-top.  The little sentiment is by Mama Elephant stamps, but I traced over the letters with the copic multiliner to make it look more hand-drawn.

I hope you like it!  I framed the art as a little coming-home surprise for Sofia ♥.  We spent our first night at home with the double-casts and it was like bringing home a great big newborn baby: she had to be fed, given to drink, medicated, changed, and comforted.  It will take a few days to get into a groove, but we are so happy to have the family together again.  Thank you all for your warmth and encouragement!

20 comments:

  1. Elena, I pray for a fast recovery for Sofia.

    Your frames art is precious. I would not have known it wasn't a stamp if you hadn't said so! You did a fabulous job, I see stamp illustrator being added to your resume in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Elena, this is so sweet! And you are an artist! The coloring is amazing and I love the cute little things you changed from the original. Sofia is going to love it! Hope her recovery is super fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I don't know whether to file this under 'A' for 'Awesome' or 'M' for 'Masterpiece'. Seriously girl, this is amazing!! I have wanted to try something like this for a while but been too nervous to try. You've just inspired me to let go of some of that fear and just give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Elena! You have even more talents up your sleeve! This is amazing. you should really pursue this talent... your drawing is really really good!Hope the days get better for your daughter as she recovers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a talent for sure, Elena! Stamp illustrators watch out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Sofia is feeling better now that she's home.
    you are a natural artist girl! If you didn't mention that this was hand drawn I would have not known! You are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing!!! Love your hand drawn image! Coloring is perfection! Such a great gift for Your daughter! Wishing her a quick recovery💜

    ReplyDelete
  8. elena- i find your blog so so so inspiring :) thank you and hoping your daughters recovery goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a big liar. You totally are an artist! This is the cutest thing ever! More more more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you turned your pic into a stamp I'd be first in line! Super adorable. So good to hear Sofia is home. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well *hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this looks amazing, Elena! You are totally an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home Sofia!
    Hope she'll recover soon!
    Your piece of handdrawn art is gorgeous and whimsical indeed!
    Very, very beautiful.
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this so much...I'm sure Sofia will too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely, positively the most darling framed art work EVAH!!! I hope you display this in your home proudly...it really is so charming and beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe you drew this! Just amazing! I have always loved your chalkboard work. You are truly an artist! Hugs to you and the family. I am glad that Sofia is home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely amazing! A true work of art. And what a special gift for your daughter. Bless you and your sweet family. I pray recovery will come fully and as quickly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Elena, you are so talented! I like this little girl you drew! She is so precious! And it looks amazing in this beautiful frame!
    My best wishes to Sofia and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful! I adore it. I hope your daughter recovers quickly.
    Jane
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your version of the girl Elena you did a fantastic job. Wish your daughter to have a quick recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing! You are so incredibly talented!

    ReplyDelete