Tuesday, April 29, 2014

bbq party!

It was not exactly the kind of day you'd like when you're hosting a bbq party, all dark and rainy, but we had a great time celebrating Thomas' 7th birthday:

bbq party!

No need for a backdrop when you have a whole chalkboard wall in your home.  I wrote all kinds of burger toppings on the board, and called it a day.

Now, time to get all up in our grill.

bbq party!

After scouring Pinterest, and talking with my favorite baker, Marlyn, I created this giant cake for the occasion.

bbq party!


One recipe of vanilla cake, and one recipe of chocolate cake, cut down to look like a big mac.  I found spearmint gummy leaves that I rolled out to look more like lettuce, and left them hanging out of the burger. Red icing for ketchup, yellow for mustard, and a plain buttercream for the mayo.

bbq party!


Marlyn (of Montreal Confections) made amazing goodies for our party.  Including the "7" that I added to the top of the cake, and these burger pinatas:

bbq party!

bbq party!

The kids picked them up, shook them around, and loved them.  Inside, a little tongue and cheek when they found gummy worms.

bbq party!

My absolute favorite thing that Marlyn created were the grill toppers for my cupcakes:

bbq party!

They are amazing! I added mini gummy kebabs and some hot tamale "franks" to the tops.

bbq party!

mmm.... gummy kebabs...

bbq party!

Marlyn has a video up on her youtube channel, for how to create these grill toppers.

bbq party!

Using printables I found online, I added flame toppers to these cut-up brownies... I was hoping they'd look like coals, with red flames... the jury's still out, but they were yummy!

bbq party!

I made a few party favors to hand out. One, at the beginning of the party, and the other at the end.

bbq party!

I don't really know what's going on with Sofia, but keep yours eyes on the boys, hee hee.  I stenciled hamburger tshirts for everyone to wear at the party, and gave them mason jars full of candy to take home.

bbq party!

Stick a fork in me, I'm almost done. One more party weekend to go...

bbq party!

♥.

13 comments:

  1. AMAZING! You do the cutest parties!! I want to be your child, so I can get one! Love every little detail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sofia's face in that pict! haha. This whole thing should be in a magazine. I'm speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are no words! This is freaking amazing! I need one of those jars! Ha! And what happened to Maia in the picture, she is AWOL?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly amazing! All those details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh!!!! So cute!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waouu, voilà un buffet incroyable !!! Chapeau pour tout ce beau travail, je suis vraiment admirative !

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are amazing! your creativity never ends :) love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes! Amazeballs! The gummy kebabs slayed me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! You are so creative! TFS

    ReplyDelete