Tuesday, April 17, 2012

card patterns #161



I needed a quick card for a birthday party Sofia was invited to this past weekend.  When I'm in a time crunch, the best place for me to start is a sketch challenge - I'm usually able to picture what's-gonna-go-where within the first 5 minutes... (but that's not always how things turn out!)

Here's the sketch from the Card Patterns blog:


And here's my take:

I figured since Clear & Simple stamps is sponsoring the challenge this week, why not play along using some of their stamps? *wink*

I started out by stamping my cute kitty (from "taglines: critters") onto a scrap of orange patterned cardstock, and cut her out.  I then stamped the kitten again onto a die-cut circle, and stamped the speech bubble nearby.  Once I masked those two elements, I stamped a woodgrain pattern (from CSS "background basics 1" set) and used some distress ink to darken up the whole circle.  I used a pattern from that same background set to create the blue+white pattern on the triangle mat.  Love it.

My favorite part of the card?  (besides miss kittie, of course...)  The swirly pattern climbing the card alongside the orange scalloped border.  It's the little things that make me happy!

I'm also entering this card into the current CAS-ual Fridays challenge: using 2 colors, opposite each other on the color wheel.  

Thanks for peeking!

13 comments:

  1. So cute!! I need to play with these critters more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute card. I agree about sketches being helpful, and need to remind myself to use them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sweet!! love this little guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I love the woodgrain and the sweet stamping along the scalloped border, and that kitty is super cute. Thanks for joining us at Card Patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The swirly part was one of the first things I noticed, because it is so subtly, but adds so much!!!

    So cute - I bet it was the favourite! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Elena, this is so cute! I love that kitty on the woodgrain :) Glad you joined the fun at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this design, Elena! The colors are so soft and complimentary for this design! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute!!! Love that stamped border, and the way you lined up the kitty image on the patterned paper...genius. Your skill shows in your attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute Elena! Great design and a fun image!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable!!
    Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! Love the stamp in place of the pearls all along the diagonal. So glad you could play along with us on Card Patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how cute is this. I love how you used the heart doodles and the pattern paper in the kitty's belly. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at CardPatterns.

    ReplyDelete