Monday, April 23, 2012

Sofia's "sew seven" party!

We celebrated Sofia's 7th birthday with a sewing party!  (I still can't believe that she's seven!  And, I think that's why I work so hard to create special moments for my kids' birthdays... I need to ground the blur of passing years with these big events... they become the landmarks that we can easily identify when we want to reminiscence...)

My only regret was that the day was dark and rainy, and the pictures don't reflect how amazing everything looked.

I created some embroidery-hoop-decor, and my 2 favorites were the little girl silhouettes.  Those, and the bow garland hanging beneath the shelf are on display in the girls' room now...  the mini-sewing-basket-favor-boxes were put together based on a tutorial found here.

You may remember the dolls that I made for the girls' Christmas gifts... they came in handy for added decor.




I wrapped a foam wreath in some white linen fabric, and used all kinds of dies to embellish it with fabric and felt flowers.

When the girls first came in, we dove into lunch.  In the white frame is a sign that explains our "build your own sandwich" lunch.  We had breads, meats, toppings, veggies and chips to choose from, and a panini press set up on the counter.  This was such a stress-free party meal and we enjoyed every bite.

The first craft was to create these simple bows.  I had felt rectangles cut in different colors, and the girls learned how to sew a running stitch and gather it into a bow-shape.  They all proudly showed them off :)


A break for gifts :)  Oh, and that t-shirt Sofia is wearing?  We altered a long-sleeved tee based on this tutorial, and gave one to each of the girls.  So chic!


Our second craft involved an embroidery hoop with some easy-to-sew-through-burlap fabric for each girl.  They stitched their monogram and further embellished their projects with some felt flowers and buttons.  The girls did so well!

And then came dessert:

Chocolate cake...

Banana cupcakes, with honey-cinnamon frosting... and a strawberry mousse.

We good 'n sugared them up.... and then sent them home.  hee hee!


And, to end things off, here's a picture of the entire gaggle, showing off their creations:


Thank you for allowing me to share snapshots of Sofia's special day!

I may not post as often as usual this week, because I'm neck-deep in setting up for our monster party this upcoming Saturday :)  Your regularly-scheduled program will resume after party season is done!

23 comments:

  1. You should write a book on interior decorating, cooking and paper crafting. I know it would sell out in no time! Amazing pictures and such wonderful designs Elena.
    Love coming here!


    Have a great week, hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously blushing, Karin. thank you!

      Delete
    2. I've been telling her things like this for years now...EVERYONE! Heave! (Maybe if we all say it at the same time...) ♥u, El.

      Delete
  2. I don't know who you took after but it's for sure not from me. You're very talented and should consider going into business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Karin, you should write a book of all your 'homemaking' goodness. It would be a hit for sure Elena. Fantastic party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Your talents are amazing! You an plan my parties anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS party. love everything about this party. Too bad I don't have a girl, otherwise I am totally CASING it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome party! Love the theme, the decor, the projects.... everything! I am so making some hair bow and hope to one day have a party like this for my little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this party looks amazing, Elena! I love everything you did! Hmmm, I'm wondering if Sage would like a "sew eight" party this year.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! What a beautiful and sweet party, Elena! I agree, you should go into business! Can't wait to see the monster party

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that this must be the most beautiful 7th birthday party ever!!! Can I come next year?! ;D
    Hugs!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tanya and Karin are SO right... this is incredible! I pride myself on paying attention to the details, and honestly - you make me feel like I do it half-way. You did such an incredible job, and this is such a beautiful party!!

    Those little sewing baskets are BEYOND cute, and I love the projects the girls worked on... and their shirts are so cool!

    Alright, now I have to get thinking about Josie's party... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow oh wow! I agree you really should write a book it would be a top seller! You could be the Canadian Martha Stewart! This is a fabulous party idea! Love all the details! Simply amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing party. You need to go professional. Every detail is just so well thought out and perfect. I love the picture at the end--the girls are all just adorable. Oh, to be 7 again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic! You're SEW amazing! What kind of energy must you have to do all this? Sofia is one lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sweet beautiful party. I'm sure the girls loved it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You must have the patience of a saint to try to teach all those sweet girls to sew! What an AMAZING party- and the picutes ABSOLUTELY show how fantastic it was!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun party! All your decorations are amazing. Love the thank you cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun party! All your decorations are amazing. Love the thank you cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pure perfection. Seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My oldest turns 7 this summer and LOVES to sew! This would be such a special party. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know this was a while ago but I was just wondering with the little felt bows you made what type of clip did you put them on to so they went in the girls hair

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey! Great party idea! For a great gift idea, you will LOVE learning more about these wonderfully soft, snuggly, and fun “pets” for kids! Check them out here: http://www.handi-dandi-crafts.com/

    ReplyDelete