Monday, January 7, 2013

a gnomie birthday to you!

We're celebrating the lawnscaping challenge blog's birthday!  Time to take out your lawn fawn stamps and get creative: make a card, hand-stamp a gift-wrap, or even make some cute cupcake toppers.

Confession time:  I've watched "Gnomeo and Juliet" more times than I'd like to admit this holiday season.  I found it on liquidation, and stuck it under the tree for the kids as an afterthought, and they have become obsessed.  My 2 year old walks around the house, yelling out quotes from the movie.  Oy.

So, it was only natural that I would stamp a birthday gnome for lawnscaping's big day (and then use some leftover cake-pops for the photo-staging, hee hee):

gnomie birthday.

Here's the how-to: Start out by stamping the gnome, from "gnome sweet gnome" and add a little party pom-pom to the top of his hat (really, a puff of train smoke from "pa-rum-pa-pum-pum").  Next step is to mask the gnome and his pom-pom, and stamp the cake (from "bake me a cake").  Add a smiley face to the cake (I borrowed a gingerbread's smile, from "sweet christmas.")  And guess what?  Mask that too.  Stamp the balloon next, (from "admit one") and mask that too.  After every image is sporting a mask, stamp the "wishing happy birthday to you" sentiment (from "check this out") repeatedly, until the entire piece of cardstock is filled.  Using a sponge, rub distress ink over the entire piece, to make the background more subtle.  Remove the masks, and color in with copic markers.  Add a little liquid-appliqué to the gnome's party hat pom-pom to seal the deal.

gnomie birthday.

I hope you like it!  Now your turn to get busy:


You could win a prize from our sponsor, Simon Says Stamp:

Simon Says Stamp

Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Love all that masking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you used masking on this card...so, so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute. You make all that masking sound like a piece of cake (haha), but I know better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LIKE that PARTY hat!
    the cake pops look YUMMY too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So darling! Love the color palette, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a lot of masking, but the result is so adorable, Elena! I'll bet your two-year-old loves it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. You always think of the perfect details... the little happy face on the cake, the smoke puff to make a party hat... way to think outside the box! And you are super patient to do all that masking, I tell you... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is so sweet, Elena! I love the little pompom on his hat-- such a great little detail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't go breaking my heart. I won't go breaking your heart. LA LA LA LA! Love that movie and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this card! We should virtually craft one day. How fun would that be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have got to be kidding me.....this card is just too cute for words. The little gnome with the smiley birthday cake and balloon is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete