Tuesday, June 28, 2011

MIM #21 - 2 step masking

I absolutely LOVED this card that Nichole Heady created during the June countdown posts - and now so thrilled that she created a how-to video!

For my take, I created my mask in the same way that she taught, so that I could sponge fresh snow ink around, leaving a striking black rectangle in the middle of my mat.  Perfect space for stamping my tulips (also in fresh snow ink) and then using a q-tip to apply some blue and green pastel inks.  Do blue tulips even exist?


The q-tip isn't a tool for precise application, obviously, but I thought it added to the softness of the image, along with all that billowy white sponging around the rectangle...

The black panel was matted onto another layer, covered in BB: gingham.  I finally think I've got the hang of lining up those ginghams!  I love a full panel of that pattern - I'm going to be using it a lot more now!

Thanks for looking!

16 comments:

  1. I love this! It looks like an altered photograph...amazing! ;)
    As for blue tulips...I found this...
    http://www.ehow.com/about_6574983_meaning-blue-tulips.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter if there are no blue tulips, your card is amazing, i love how you have added colour to the tulips.
    Linda in Aus

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw, great card - your gingham placement is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is BEAUTIFUL!!! Nicely done Elena!!
    Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A.Maze.Ing!!!! The gingham background is wonderful, too! You did great with the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very striking! And I'm always a fan of gingham. Great way to use those tulips too, thanks for another idea, I love coloring those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty card!! I LOVE that background. You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card is just stunning! It is the first card I have seen using bb:gingham that really made me say oh, I have to have that stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blue and the green on the tulips is such a nice touch. Super job on this weeks project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Elena, this is gorgeous! The white really makes those beautiful pastel flowers stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This absolutely stunning!! Love the tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Golly Miss Molly! This is fabulous! I haven't had a peek at this week's MIM but if it inspired you to create this masterpiece then I am racing over to have a watch right this instant! I love, love, love, the colors and that gigham. Just...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elena this is quite interesting! It looks like a photo negative...well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Love the colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete