Monday, June 6, 2011

sweet birthday...

I needed a quick birthday card, and the sketch over at CAS-ual Fridays was just the jumping off point that I needed to make it happen.



I'm really excited to have another sketch to work with - I love seeing how many different directions a single sketch can go...  I took mine to a sweet spot:

Is there anything more synonymous than birthdays and cupcakes?  We're still dealing with the "under 6" club, and they are convinced that no major celebration can pass by without being sealed with cupcakes.  I wholeheartedly agree.

For this card, I paper-pieced the cute little cake out of scraps of SU papers and set it aside.  I created a mask  and stamped PTI's chevron stripes inside, using SU's blushing bride ink.  The sentiment (from PTI's simple sentiments) was curved around the chevron semi-circle.  I love being able to do that with clear stamps - and it really helped to define the area a bit better.  Here's a bit of a closer peek:



Thanks for letting me play along at CAS-ual Fridays!

9 comments:

  1. One good comment deserves another! Joyce here--Rachnsarahsmom from the PTI forum. Just thought I'd check in and read your blog, and so glad I did. I entered the same CAS-Friday challenge as you did!! So fun to see another take on it. My girls are 11 and 13, and the love for cupcakes doesn't fade--so keep baking. I love this card, and never thought about using the chevrons that way, or curving the simple sentiments either. What a clever card. I will be copying your idea--and now that I know how to 'paper piece', I'll be all set. Hope you are having a great day with all your little ones.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is so cute! I love the curving of the sentiment and the cupcake is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet!
    Great take on my sketch!
    Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your take on the sketch, fun to see the sentiment wrap around the chevron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm mmmm mmm GOOD!! Love the yummy colors and your take on this sketch! So glad that you play with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet. I love that button placement! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm ... super sweet and yummy! Awesome color palette and especially love the masked chevron half-circle. Great design element! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays. Looking forward to having you play with us again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooooooh! I love it! The chevron, the rounded sentiment strip, the sweet cupcake, the edger at the top. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a faithful customer of yours, I'
    m requesting this card for an early August b-day party. ;)

    ReplyDelete