Wednesday, September 28, 2011

bulky mail...





The MIM challenge this week is to create your own chipboard accents - so fun!  Since their steel dies can only cut the thickness of a thin piece of cardboard at a time, the trick is to glue 5-6 layers together to get a really thick accent for your project.  The top layer should be in the cardstock color of your choice and/or stamped with the coordinating image.  And voila!  A homemade chipboard accent.

I'm also entering this card into the current CAS-fridays challenge: to use at least 3 shades of a monochromatic color, and then add the color brown as well.




I've used 2 PTI sets to create this card: "postmarks", and "tag-it's #2".  I started out with a kraft base, and added a vintage cream mat on top.  The postage border was stamped onto the cream layer in SU's real red ink.  The air-mail image in the top left corner was first stamped off on a scratch paper so that it would be less vibrant.  Same goes for the wavy cancellation lines.  Beside the wavy lines, I stamped the tag-it's frame in a rose-red, to provide a frame for my chunky postage stamps.



I stamped the postage stamp frames in "vintage photo" distress ink, and the crown and lady silhouette images in a darker, burgundy ink (SU's cherry cobbler.)

The sentiment was stamped in the same brown distress ink, and stamped again over-top without re-inking.  In person, it gives the softest shadow-effect.


Thanks for looking!

18 comments:

  1. Elena this is incredible! I love the postage chipboard pieces and how you put the circle from tag its 2 behind! LOVE it! :)

    Sorry I'm soooooo behind on commenting!! Thanks for keeping up with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... this is far too awesome. You have just convinced me that I need the Postmarks set. Perhaps I should "steal" my friend's set that's in the order coming at the moment haha. Great card Elena!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this bulky card certainly justifies any extra postage you may have to pay with its beauty! Love it!
    Hugs
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just great. I don't use that postage set as much as I should. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I love this so much! The tag-its frame behind the postage is just perfect. I really need to get the postmarks set!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card, Elena! It's so pretty! And I love how you used the MIM technique on the postage stamp die!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it , I need to look at the MIM video . Love what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an exquisite piece, I love your detail but you still managed to keep it clean and simple. Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this card!
    Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those stamps look so cool in dimensional form. Great job with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. super cute CSA card. i do love that authentic old letter format.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is the best thing I have seen today...yesterday too actually. And I have seen some pretty fab stuff I should confess. ;-) Your card is so incredibly fabulous. I do adore all things postal and the richness of your card just astounds. Again, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love everything about this. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow ! you made a attractive card form a mail envelop. that is brilliant creativity .
    Plastic Card
    Plastic business cards

    ReplyDelete