Saturday, July 9, 2011

CAS-ual Fridays... shaped cards


The challenge description over at CAS-ual Fridays read: "use a template or create your own" shaped card.  Hmmm... make my own.  Sounds like a hoot! (really bad joke, I know...)

I drew a v-e-r-y simple owl shape on my A2-sized card and started layering basic shapes on top.  Nothing too complicated - it is a CAS-challenge, after all!  I used kraft cardstock for the base, chocolate chip (SU!) for the ears, beak, eyes, and wings, and very vanilla (SU!) for the owl tummy and the little tag.

I stamped the base, tag, and beak with the Hero Arts envelope pattern background stamp, the wings and ears with PTI's woodgrain stamps, and used a little retro goodness on the tummy (PTI also).  

To give everything some dimension, I quickly sponged all the pieces before assembling.

The sentiment on the tag is from a retired SU set (picture this) that I will never be giving up.  I love it!  And it fit so perfectly here.

Nothing on this card is done to perfection - you can tell in some spots that it's hand-cut instead of die-cut.  But I think that works and makes my owl look more handmade and whimsical.  I heart handmade-looking stuff.


Thanks for looking!  Have a super weekend.

7 comments:

  1. This is adorable!
    Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is super cute! I love that owl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely awesome Elena! So creative! Love this owl card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I love your template...Your very own drawing! You should save it and mass produce this card!! How AWESOME! I love it to bits! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays! So glad that you join the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arr he's so sweet, love the stamping to give texture. Cute sentiment too :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job!! I love that you created your own template - and very fine one at that!! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete